Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Driving to Work ...


My vet’s practice is 38 miles from my farm, each time he services our horses the call charge alone is $90. This is a smart charge on his part and well worth every penny; he helps keep my horses happy and healthy. The Doctor is a well-educated expert, his time valuable and the cost of fuel a pre-visit cash outlay to him. UPS and FedEx service my mail accounts, they take the pressure off me to get important packages delivered on time. I gladly pay UPS and FedEx a pick-up charge and a fuel surcharge to ensure my peace of mind regarding delivery.

My point is that I am used to paying call charges and fuel surcharges, I incorporate them into the cost of doing business and consider them part of the investment I make in my business. The rest of the world is accustomed to the same …

With the rising cost of fuel and the subsequent increase in the price of all of my farrier supplies, I started applying a call and fuel charge to all of my clients’ invoices. This covers my driving time, tolls and fuel. I arrive at the job happier and my customer’s know I’ll get there on time; they pay their bills with the add-ons and a thank you note. You can do the same …

The Drive Pricing website will help you with this. Start by adding your starting point. Then, enter your destination. Next, enter your ZIP, along with your rig’s miles per gallon and grade of fuel you use. You can select one-way or round-trip. I charge for a round-trip. When you click Go, you'll see how many miles you'll be traveling and the cost of fuel.

Here is the link:
www.drivepricing.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1 comment:

Sean said...

Hi, I just wanted to say thanks for the mention on your blog. When I created drivepricing I didn't envision uses like this so it is interesting and flattering to see it used by people in different ways. Thanks again and let me know if you have any feature requests or feedback.